Babel 17; aka That's Some Sick Ink Bro

Let me just say I absolutely ADORE when science fiction explores existing concepts found in humanity and blows them into completely cosmic re-imaginings; we're the ones writing the stories, so it's so nice to be able to latch on to something recognizable, but completely elevated in interesting, unique ways!

In particular, in class we touched on Samuel Delany's use of body modification in Babel 17 for a hot minute, which got me so excited. The use of radical cosmetic surgery as a neat elevated facet of the world made me really excited; it's been something people on earth have done for a long, long, long time, and I think there's absolutely room for it to go hogwild in a futuristic, sci-fi setting.

Our first introduction to the concept was one of my favorites; Lome, a long retired pilot, with red and green jewels inlaid all over his body, along with what I imagined to be iridescent bedazzled sugar-glider styled fin-membranes beneath his arms. It's such an extra description that I latched onto as soon as I read it; how can you not? He even has pointed ears that move independently like some sort of fancy reflective deer!

There was a neat little sliding scale of modifications found during that wrestling scene, too. From Lome's clear extravagance to a simple glowing rose tattoo worn by a fairly average looking teen, to what I pictured as some human, manticore-esque Smilodon hybrid creature that even walked on all fours, and a literal Dragon Woman. I think the variety fit quite well, considering people's body mods nowadays can range from simple earrings to intensive plastic surgery designed to give someone the appearance of a Real Life Ken Doll.

There's plenty to go on about with regards to Babel 17; I really did enjoy the whole unfolding of the invitation to the Baron's dinner, as there was some crazy unsettling descriptions of speculative weaponry there. Overall, I really enjoyed Delany's work, and the clear complexity and care he's injected into his world.

Comments

Popular Posts